It seems like it was just yesterday that the weather was warming up in this most unusual year. The nights were getting shorter and the temperatures were rising, making it all the more agreeable to be at home for long stretches of time, as we’ve all been doing recently. However, as hard as it may be to believe, cooler weather is just around the corner. You want to be sure your commercial furnace is in top shape and ready to serve you for the coming months, and getting your furnace ready for winter in Hennepin County, MN is going to require some basic maintenance and review. Here are some tips:
- Turn on the thermostat: First of all, you want to switch the system over from cooling to heating before the weather gets really cold, just to give it a test run. The heat should kick on within a minute or so, and if it doesn’t, make sure all electrical connections are wired tight and snug. If they are, and the furnace still isn’t turning on, it’s time to call the pros at Air Climate Control, Inc. to take a closer look.
- Inspect the chimney and carbon monoxide detectors: Chimneys can become a haven for small animals if they’re not being “used” by your furnace, so try and give them a look. Also, safety is a big part of getting your furnace ready for winter in Hennepin County, MN, so be sure to test all carbon monoxide detectors as well.
- Lubricate and clean the blower motor: This requires checking the manual—your motor might not require lubrication, so double-check first. If you do need to lubricate, turn the power off and clean the caps covering the bearings before lubricating the bearings themselves.
- Test the igniter: If you have an older furnace, it might require you to relight a pilot, while more recent systems have igniters that work with electricity. If the igniter isn’t doing the trick, you should first check the reset button and then your breaker—if that doesn’t work, it’s time to call for furnace repair.
- Change all filters: Most systems have air filters behind the intake vent that should be replaced regularly, and these should definitely be swapped out before the heating season really takes off.
- Cover the condenser: As you switch from air conditioning to heating, it’s important to properly shut down the AC for the season. This includes covering the condenser if you have one—something as simple as a trash can lid secured with cords can do the trick when it comes to keeping the elements out.
- Clean the heat exchanger: Some furnace maintenance steps require the presence of a professional, and cleaning the heat exchanger is a vital process that requires just that level of assistance. It’s a complex job that should always be left to the pros.
Getting your furnace ready for winter in Hennepin County, MN is a relatively simple job that will pay real dividends throughout the heating season. If you’d like your commercial furnace to benefit from our professional touch, give Air Climate Control, Inc. a call today to schedule your free estimate.